Marina's Space

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Vermont South Special School



I survived my first day! I am so completely overwhelmed and excited at the same time! Vermont South is a fantastically resourced, wonderfully staffed beautiful space for children with special needs. I have learned more than my mind can cope with and I've only been there 2 days! I have sat in on P.E, Art, Relaxation, Numeracy, Literacy and much more!

We went on an excursion to Clayton to an adventure playground (outdoor) that was especially geared for children with special needs. I loved it! The swings were so much fun!

Though I am not able to take photos or really talk about the kids, they are so beautiful. Looking at their eyes you see so much - a person with a disability is just a treasure hidden in a body or mind that doesn't work the same way as me. I am getting used to using my voice more effectively - changing pitch and using rhythm to best advantage.

One very special moment was Relaxation. The students came in from play (it was a very crazy footy day) we took off their shoes and socks, then washed their hands and feet in a bath of lavender warm water while soft music played. The children then took their own pillow and blanket and lay on the floor in their own quiet space, relaxing for a while. In the dim light we gave them hand massages to relax their oeverstimulated, rigid and tired hands. It was a spitiual/biblical moment for me and I fought to hold back tears.

I will tell you more as my rounds progress but for now I am so blessed to be there!

Thanks for listening,

M.

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Sounds like you are being really blessed, Marina. Am so glad that things are going well so far.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marina!

You're placement sounds awesome.
As I was reading your blog I was taken back to my own precious memories of working with young children with additional needs, and was reminiscing of how wonderful those days were.
They are memories that I will treasure forever.
I headed home to Ballarat a few weeks ago to attend a deb ball of some of the kids I had worked with. They were no longer kids,m but are now adults and have grown and changed so much. My cousing was in that ball, and she looked like a true princess as she was pushed around dancing in her wheelchair... I would encourage you to seek God in these precious days as you really are privileged to be able to spend time in the lives of some very special children and staff.

God bless, and keep in touch!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Hi Ainsley! It is so good to hear from you! Please keep in touch through here or email, I won't put it on here but you can call M'bark Salvos and get it!!!

See ya,

M.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home